Dr Jörn Bühring, Assistant Professor of PolyU School of Design, is leading the way in advancing a research culture that is innovative, cooperative, and focused on impact. His collaborative approach (cf. Design Economy, Ignite Innovation Industry Collaboration Futures, IAEE Masterclass) brings academia, designers, and business stakeholders together to develop high-impact design knowledge, concepts, and forward-looking solutions. In respect of knowledge transfer, he is pioneering new instruments to foster dissemination of research and insights across non-expert stakeholder groups.Prior to his role in academia, Dr. Bühring has held senior corporate leadership positions across diverse industries, leading major project initiatives including innovative start-ups, entrepreneurial and intrapreneurial business formations, and enterprise expansions into new markets. Working within a wide range of global brand icons, he has accumulated extensive experiences as a senior executive in a variety of industries, and his knowledge of the demands of the future is based on first hand experiences.Dr. Bühring’s research explores Design Foresight, Vision and Fiction techniques as emerging processes within Strategic Design, Entrepreneurship, Design and Innovation Management. His research interests expand toward developing collaborative, triple/quadruple helix innovation models, frameworks, and futures concepts involving stakeholders within the transformation economy.
CORE DESIGN/RESEARCH EXPERTISE
- Strategic Design and Innovation
- Design Foresight and Futures Thinking (Literacy and capability building)
- Strategic Partnership Development - Triple Helix
- Circular Economy and Sustainability Strategies
- Executive Leadership Education
CURRENT RESEARCH/DESIGN FOCUS/INTEREST
- Toward a high-impact research and open innovation hub model linking diverse actors (c.f. Triple / Quadruple Helix Model) around strategic innovation, dynamic decision-making, and sustainability development strategies. This intends to look at how a network of organisations (links and nodes) may adapt their sustainable development strategies based on knowledge production (by agents) and diffusion (by texts), to make informed decisions amidst a rapidly-changing, volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous world in which the external environment continues to pose new and unexpected challenges.
- Explore future forms of policy development, citizen participation and social experimentation to enable transitions to sustainable design and innovation
RESEARCH/DESIGN FOCUS/INTEREST IN COMING 1-3 YEARS
- Strategic Design, Innovation, and Futures Studies (incl. Scenario building and concept development), Open Innovation - Save Spaces, Circular Economy and Sustainability Strategies, Triple and Quadruple Helix Innovation Model, executive leadership and strategic decision-making
- Open Innovation - Save Spaces for explorative action research, prototyping, and value innovation
READINESS OF TAKING UP CONTRACT RESEARCH
READINESS OF TAKING UP CONSULTANCY WORK